Nothing beats a blog when it comes to creating engaging, informative content to a website. Plus, blogs are awesome for getting your site to the top of the search engine rankings. But you shouldn’t go into the blogosphere without a plan. Even if you are a confident writer, you need to be strategic about your efforts if you want them to be fruitful. We’ve written several other articles about the importance of blogging, which you can find here, to familiarize yourself with the process.
Let’s get started. Here are some of the steps you should take at the beginning of the process:
- Establish a goal. Do you want your blog to showcase your finished projects? Educate your readers or explain product benefits? Maybe you’d like to establish a network of links to related blogs written by other people in your industry. What you hope to ultimately achieve will dictate your planning process.
- Create a schedule. How many times each week would you like the posts to go live? About twice per week is ideal, but be realistic about what you can manage. Remember, too, that you should include social media posts every time a blog goes live to alert followers that there is something new for them to read. Blog postings can be automated using Hootsuite or a similar service.
- Make an editorial calendar. This is simply a list of topics, target audiences and message goals. Often, finding topics to write about can seem daunting. But there are dozens of places to get enough ideas for a year’s worth of posts. It’s even better if you can find photographs to go with each entry.
- Create your voice. Posts can be formally written, if that’s appropriate for the product or service you offer, but in most cases a casual, informative tone works best. You want readers to get a feel for your personality so they will be more comfortable about contacting you or patronizing your business.
- Set yourself up for success. If you are a natural writer, you have a head start. But if you don’t normally write, you can boost your chances for success with a little preparation. Give yourself a nice place to write with no distractions. Set a time of day that you are alert and feeling creative. Again, having your topics already laid out will be extremely helpful for motivation.
The blogging process can go on for quite a while, and it will become easier over time. These guidelines will help you get going, and you can tweak your process as you learn what works best. When you are ready to add a blog to your website, just let us know and we can get it set up for you.