It can seem like a nightmare:
You wake up one day to find that your website has been targeted by a hacker. It may be offline, defaced or redirected to some less-than-desirable internet destination. But take a deep breath. You can and will recover your site if you stay calm. These are vital steps you can take to restore your online presence.
- If you have an IT department or webmaster, let them know what’s going on.
- Gather details about what has happened. Is it a redirect? Is is a fake site? When did the change happen?
- Check with your hosting service. It likely won’t fix your site, but it can offer advice or let you know if other users are experiencing the same problem.
- Considers taking down the site temporally while you assess damage and correct the issue. If it is down more than 24 hours, send notifications via social media.
- Seek self-help solutions online or contact a local web design company for assistance.
Of course, if you are a 237 Marketing + Web client, you already have access to a support team to help restore your site. We are ready to help you solve any issues caused by hackers or malware.